Loch Ewe and the small village of Aultbea have an outstanding and surprisingly little known historic connection to World War II. The loch became an important naval base and an assembly point for the ‘Arctic convoys’ taking goods and arms across dangerous routes to Scandinavia and Russia. Great convoys also set off for Murmansk, West Africa and North America. The loch was protected by anti aircraft guns and a boom net and mine defence system helped protect the vessels in the loch from German submarines and air attacks. There are still many sites scattered around the area with remains of ruined gun-emplacements and other small military buildings. A total of 19 Arctic convoys consisting of 481 merchant ships and over 100 navel vessels left from Loch Ewe. The War memorial at Rubha nan Sasan on the Western tip of Loch Ewe commemorates those that never made it back. The Aultbea Hotel is still visited by those remaining members of the convoys who still visit the area and recall fondly their time in Aultbea and will gladly tell people their stories of drinking beer from jam jars, due to war time shortages and rationing. The Loch has a small inhabited island, The Isle of Ewe. The hotel was built in 1850 as a hunting lodge by Lord Zetland.